All Party Parliamentary Fire Safety & Rescue Group
Ronnie King OBE, O St.J, QFSM, F.I.FireE
Tel: +44 (0)1269 844548 Mobile: +44 (0)7836 266614 E-mail: email@example.com
The All-Party Parliamentary Fire Safety & Rescue Group is an informal cross-party interest group which has been in operation for over eighteen years; made up of 29 Members of Parliament and Peers. The Group is very active, well attended and successful, with more than 10 Peers and MPs frequently attending its meetings.
Whilst being properly balanced to reflect the parties of Government, it does take a position on some matters which may not always be consistent with Government current policy or direction. However it is keen to work with Government and not to be in conflict with it.
In addition to running Launch/Commemorative Events and Parliamentary seminars in the Houses of Parliament, the All-Party Group meets bi-monthly to consider fire safety & rescue issues to bring to Government’s attention, as well as receiving updates and news of research and important safety matters arising from live incidents.
The All-Party Parliamentary Group has formed a strong relationship with the Fire Sector Federation. This is proving to have been a constructive and positive step to have taken. Individual Fire Sector member organisations have also recently either held events or given short presentations to the All-Party Group about their work, and the issues which are of concern; including:
- Coltraco Ultrasonics
- Royal Mail Group
- REO Consultancy – competency & Standards
- Oil & Gas
- Underwriters Ltd. – Hoverboards and counterfeit goods.
- National Social Housing Group – Impact of fire on Social Housing
- Devon & Somerset FRS (Arson Prevention Forum)
- CFOA – High Risk Accommodation
- Fire Safe Europe – Stop Fatal Smoke
- LFB – Safety of Electrical/White Goods
- Structural Timber Association – Recent steps taken.
- BSA – A Turner input to Building Regs ADB
- LFB – Electrical Fires in consumer units
- NSG – Pilkington – Fire Resisting Glazing
- The Building Alliance CIC – Masonry and concrete in construction
- Angloco Ltd. – National Procurement issues
- IOSH – Launch /event commemorating the 350th Anniversary of the Great Fire of London
- FIA – Launch Event Research-true cost of AFD systems, 50th Anniversary FIA-100th Anniversary FETA
- BAFSA Sprinkler Seminar
- CFOA Recycling Waste Seminar
- CFOA National Ops Group Seminar.
The All-Party Group has maintained its reputation for activity in Parliament in the past year by holding some 16 meetings, launch events, seminar participation, receptions, EDMs, Backbench business debates, Easter and Christmas Recess Debates, WPQs and Adjournment debates.
Many of these meetings were attended by public and private sector bodies and individuals with fire safety interests. Also the Group facilitated a number of Fire Sector Federation meetings and workstreams, as an indication of the importance it attaches to such work.
The next meeting of the Group will be its Inaugural meeting (to be arranged) and will take place in the Houses of Parliament following the State Opening of Parliament on 19th June 2017.